PhD Candidate in Experimental Astroparticle Physics
We invite applications for a PhD candidate position in high-energy astroparticle physics within the Pierre Auger collaboration at Radboud University …
- Houtlaan, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 3061 - € 3061 per maand
We invite applications for a PhD candidate position in high-energy astroparticle physics within the Pierre Auger collaboration at Radboud University (Nijmegen, Netherlands). The Pierre Auger Observatory is the largest detector ever built to study ultra-high-energy cosmic rays. Situated in Malargüe, Argentina, its 3000 km2 array of detectors is currently undergoing an upgrade, including the deployment of additional particle detectors as well as antennas measuring the radio-frequency emission from air showers. This will enhance the capabilities of the observatory to determine the nature of the highest-energy particles ever observed and potentially detect ultra-high-energy neutrinos for the very first time. Such discoveries could help solve the long-standing mystery of the origin of the ultra-high-energy cosmic rays.
You will contribute by calibrating the newly installed Radio Detector and implementing new triggers which will use the sub-detectors added in the upgrade. Other important aspects will be data analysis and refining the event reconstruction for inclined air showers using the Radio Detector. In these tasks you will be supported by and build on our group's strong expertise in signal reconstruction and data analysis for radio detectors. Some teaching will also be required, which will take about 10% of your working time.
- You must hold an MSc degree in physics with very good results.
- You have good English skills.
- Previous experience in data analysis and scientific computing are an advantage.
- Employment: 32 - 40 hours per week.
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,395 per month, and will increase to €3,061 in the fourth year (salary scale P).
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: you will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years.
- The intended start date is 1 November 2020.
- You will be able to make use of our Dual Career Service: our Dual Career Officer will assist with family-related support, such as child care, and help your partner prepare for the local labour market and with finding an occupation.
- Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Dr. Cristina Galea, Senior Researcher