Ongeveer 20 uur geleden - Radboudumc - Nijmegen
Chair in Machine Learning (Full or Associate professor)
The Informatics Institute (IvI) of the Faculty of Science is recruiting an established and internationally recognized scholar at the level of full or …
- Spui, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
- € 5294 - € 8127 per maand
The Informatics Institute (IvI) of the Faculty of Science is recruiting an established and internationally recognized scholar at the level of full or associate professor (depending on qualifications) in the area of Machine Learning.
We are seeking a candidate to chair our Machine Learning group (AMLAB) either at Full professor or Associate professor level (depending on qualifications). You are expected to make significant contributions in world-class research and top-quality academic teaching, as well as effective contributions to management and organization of the research group and the Informatics Institute.
We expect you to consolidate the leading research position AMLAB currently enjoys worldwide, to consolidate the current strengths of the group, such as deep learning and causality and to lead the group to new promising research directions such as (deep) reinforcement learning, privacy preserving Machine Learning and Machine Learning designed for hardware.
AMLAB is part of a world-class collaborative ecosystem in artificial intelligence, with leading groups in Information Retrieval (Prof. Maarten de Rijke, UvA), Computer Vision (Profs. Cees Snoek and Arnold Smeulders, UvA), 3D Vision (Prof. Theo Gevers, UvA), Knowledge Representation (Prof. Frank van Harmelen, VU), Theory of Machine Learning (Prof. Peter Grunwald, CWI) among others. Moreover, a number of new industry labs have been founded over the past years with 10 or more researchers, such as QUVA lab (Qualcomm-UvA) and Delta lab (Bosch-UvA) as well as a number of smaller labs (SAP, Philips, Microsoft).
We expect you to sustain the group by acquiring funding from national, international, and industrial sources and actively contribute to exploitation of scientific research, thus contributing to the valorisation duty of the University. Involvement with a startup to commercialize research results is encouraged.
Do you have the ambition to lead a diverse research group? Are you able to inspire the Machine Learning group, representing the group and maintaining and further building on the international academic visibility of the Machine Learning group? Do you have a talent for, and a clear vision on university teaching and research? Come work with us and help extend a collaborative academic environment in which teaching, research, and innovation go hand-in-hand. As our colleague, you can also contribute to our vibrant undergraduate and graduate programs in artificial intelligence.
We also expect you to collaborate with the other research groups within our institute and to reach out to other academic disciplines at the Faculty of Science, UvA and beyond. Current collaborations include biology, astronomy (ASTRON) and chemistry and medical imaging (collaborations with AMC, Radboud UMC, Utrecht MC and Cedar Sinai hospital Los Angeles). But we expect a very wide range of possible collaborations beyond these topics including finance, social sciences and humanities, and so on.
We require of you:
- a PhD in computer science or a related discipline;
- proven ability to engage in cutting-edge research in machine learning;
- demonstrated to be creative and inspiring with excellent managerial qualities and leadership capabilities;
- documented excellence in research through publications in top international conferences and journals;
- the capability to initiate and organise new research by identifying innovative research themes;
- a strong track record in the acquisition of funded research;
- contacts necessary to initiate national and international partnerships, and being part of an international network;
- experience in valorisation of research;
- proven teaching skills (preferably with a certificate of academic teaching quality), excellent didactic qualities and affinity with the content of the Bachelors and Master programs in Artificial Intelligence;
- commitment to stimulating and supervising PhD research;
- willingness and ability to perform administrative, organisational and managerial tasks.
The position will be filled at the level of Associate or Full professor, depending on qualifications. We offer a challenging job at a dynamic and ambitious university, a permanent tenured appointment and an attractive package of fringe benefits, for instance: generous leave arrangements, application for attractive fiscal arrangements are possible for employees from abroad, attractive retirement benefits, collective health insurance and excellent parental leave packages.
The gross monthly salary of the Associate professor position (UHD1) will be in accordance with the University regulations for academic personnel and will range from €5,294 up to a maximum of €6,738 (salary scale 14) effective 1 February 2019.
The gross monthly salary of the Full professor will be in accordance with the University regulations for academic personnel and will range from €5,582 up to a maximum of €8,127(salary scale HL2) effective 1 February 2019.
At any appointment level, the salary is based on a full-time appointment and depending on qualifications, expertise and on the number of years of professional experience. The total salary includes an additional 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus, under the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities.
For further information, questions and/or comments please contact:
Dr A.D. Pimentel, chair of the selection committee
T+31 (0) 20 525 7578
Names of qualified candidates may also be suggested to Dr Pimentel.
You can send in your application no later than 1 March 2019 using this link. Please upload the following information in a single PDF file:
- a cover letter and a statement summarizing your motivation (max 1 page);
- your previous research accomplishments and your future research goals (max 2 pages);
- your teaching statement (max 2 pages);
- a curriculum vitae including a complete list of publications, a list of your best three papers;
- the names and contact coordinates (email and telephone numbers) of three references.
Include the months (not just years) in your CV when referring to your education and work experience.
At this stage of the procedure, please do not send letters of reference or proofs of your academic writing.