Ongeveer 6 uur geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
Tutor PPLE College
PPLE College at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) is looking for core tutors who have an interdisciplinary background, can teach multiple classes within the …
- Spui, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 15 - 26 uur
- € 2588 - € 4084 per maand
PPLE College at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) is looking for core tutors who have an interdisciplinary background, can teach multiple classes within the first and possibly the second and third year (in the relevant Majors), and are willing to contribute to the PPLE community, as well as be actively involved in our programme’s extracurricular activities.
PPLE College follows the UvA’s 8-8-4 schedule or ‘block’ system. In the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th block, students take two courses simultaneously. Per course they have 2x2 hours of lectures and 2x2 hours of tutorials per week. A team of tutors will be formed, directly appointed with the PPLE college, to teach these tutorials. Class sizes of the tutorials will not exceed 15 students and student attendance is mandatory. By working together, students learn how to understand and apply course material as well as sharpen their writing, critical thinking and communication skills. Tutorials therefore require the active involvement of each student. PPLE actively promotes the personal development of students and their academic competences.
In the first year, thematic courses are taught in period 1,2,4,5, the so-called ‘Academic Core’, these are flanked by research methods courses. It is desirable that tutors of the academic core courses teach more than one course to ensure the coherence of the program. A part of the group of tutors will also perform tasks in the area of student mentoring.
PPLE College uses a mentor system to help students with their academic progress and offer guidance throughout their degree. As a core tutor, it is also a possibility to be a student mentor which would require 4 x 20 minute meetings with approximately 15-20 new students (at your convenience) and general participation in our mentor programme meetings.
Appointment will be done at PPLE College within the Law Faculty, for one academic year, starting 1 August 2018. The contract may be extended.
- has a background in one and preferably more of the PPLE disciplines, namely Politics, Psychology, Law and Economics. We currently are particularly interested in those who have a broad background in the following (combination of) disciplines: Political Science, Political Philosophy, Economics and Law. Candidates should also be able to teach various social scientific research methods;
- has excellent English language skills (native or near-native speaker);
- is preferably a PhD candidate, or has completed a PhD;
- has experience in teaching in a university setting for example as a tutor or seminar instructor, preferably experience in teaching in English;
- is internationally oriented (either studied/researched abroad, or taught international students);
- has affinity with, and interest in, interdisciplinary teaching and/or research;
- has affinity with, and interest in, excellence/honours teaching;
- has willingness to take an active part in the development of the curriculum/tutorials;
- has willingness to teach two tutorials simultaneously (parallel groups);
- has willingness to contribute to PPLE as a community.
The appointment will for one year for ranging from 15.2 up to 26.6 hours per week. Starting date is 1 August 2018. The gross full-time monthly salary will be in accordance with the salary scales for Teacher 4 at Dutch universities, i.e. salary scale 10 ranging from €2,588 to €4,084 gross per month based on 38 hours per week. The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities is applicable.
For further information, please contact:
- Noah Millman, Programme coordinator
Applications, including includimng a cover letter and CV, should be submitted before 1 April 2018 for the attention of Programme manager Bram Creusen to:
Please mention vacancy number 18-107 in the subject line.
With over 5,000 employees, 30,000 students and a budget of more than 600 million euros, the University of Amsterdam (UvA) is an intellectual hub within the Netherlands. Teaching and research at the UvA are conducted within seven faculties: Humanities, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Economics and Business, Law, Science, Medicine and Dentistry. Housed on four city campuses in or near the heart of Amsterdam, where disciplines come together and interact, the faculties have close links with thousands of researchers and hundreds of institutions at home and abroad.
The UvA’s students and employees are independent thinkers, competent rebels who dare to question dogmas and aren’t satisfied with easy answers and standard solutions. To work at the UvA is to work in an independent, creative, innovative and international climate characterised by an open atmosphere and a genuine engagement with the city of Amsterdam and society.
PPLE College at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) offers an interdisciplinary, research-based, English-language bachelor in Politics, Psychology, Law & Economics (PPLE). PPLE College is a collaborative effort by the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, the Faculty of Economics and Business and the Faculty of Law.
PPLE College offers students an academic programme focused on the challenges science and society face at the intersections of its four disciplines. PPLE students learn to analyse complex societal and organizational challenges through the integration of theories and methods from Politics, Psychology, Law and Economics. PPLE College is based on the following four principles:
- an interdisciplinary environment;
- small-scale institute and intensive English language curriculum;
- a research-based learning programme and
- an inspiring international learning community.
PPLE is a selective honours programme. Prospective students are selected to have a strong academic background, to be highly motivated and are from both the Netherlands and abroad. The programme features an integrated talent-development programme, intensive tutoring system, inspiring educators and dedicated staff.
Distinctive features of PPLE College are the selection of students, it’s international scope and small-scale and intensive character. Therefore PPLE College is in search of a dedicated PPLE Marketing and Communication Officer.
Activities formally take place within the Marketing and Communication section of the Law faculty’s bureau in which PPLE College finds its administrative home. The execution of the work done by the PPLE Marketing and Communication officer, including daily tasks and office space, will take place at the site of PPLE College.