1 dag geleden - Universiteit Twente (UT) - Enschede
Post-Doctoral Researcher / Lecturer – ‘(Social) Science Communication’ (0,8-1.0 FTE)
We are looking for a highly motivated Post-Doctoral Researcher and Lecturer that will both conduct research in the context of a Science with and for Society …
- Burgemeester Oudlaan, Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 2709 - € 4978 per maand
We are looking for a highly motivated Post-Doctoral Researcher and Lecturer that will both conduct research in the context of a Science with and for Society research project funded by the European Commission and teach in our undergraduate and graduate education programmes. The research project will be part of our coordination of the upcoming TRESCA project (Trustworthy, Reliable and Engaging Scientific Communication Approaches) which focuses on trust and effective science communication. The postdoctoral researcher will be involved in researching current science communication practices and issues, developing a Netherlands based co-creation citizen science communication workshop alongside similar international events and with our international partners, and developing educational materials including a MOOC for effective science communication. Lecture duties will be focused on contributing to both our bachelor and master level courses in communication including the supervision of student theses in this area.
A PhD in Communication, Business, Management or the Social Sciences is required, with demonstrated competencies in science communication practices and/or public communication. The candidate is expected to possess didactic skills and an affinity for working with students.
Research duties (50%)
• Conducting research within the framework of the TRESCA project;
• Contributing to the data collection and data analysis of the project;
• Developing, in conjunction with project partners, science communication workshops and educational materials including a MOOC;
• Publishing and presenting research results in the form of articles in international peer reviewed journals and papers at international conferences;
• Participating in and contributing to project meetings and workshops;
• Performing organisational tasks in the context of ESHCC, in particular with regard to the Department of Media and Communication;
• Taking part in seminars, workshops, etc. that are organised by the Erasmus Research Centre for Media, Communication and Culture (ERMeCC) as well as the research schools and scholarly associations of which ERMeCC is part.
Teaching duties (30 or 50%)
• Preparing and giving lessons within the context of the various degree programmes in the field of Media and Communication provided by the ESHCC;
• Monitoring the literature and integrating new insight into the lessons;
• Supervising and coaching students;
• Pointing out possible improvements and integrating them into teaching methods and/or the content of the lessons given;
• Contributing to the evaluation of the lessons, both in terms of structure and execution;
• Participating in committees or working groups, as well as performing designated organisational tasks.
• A PhD in Communication, Business, Management or the Social Sciences;
• Research and analysis skills, particularly with regards to scientific communication;
• Proven affinity for empirical research, as evidenced by your research work, publications, research plans and other projects;
• Didactic potential. Teaching experience is desired;
• A willingness to develop knowledge and skills in various disciplines and to increase the ability to teach a wide range of subjects within the faculty’s degree programme;
• Organisational experience and skills;
• Proficiency in spoken and written English. Non-English speakers have to meet the C1-standards of the Common European Framework (CEF).
Employment is intended to start 1 January, 2020. The contract run for a term of 28 months, after a probationary period. Potential for extending the contract is dependent on financing and performance. The conditions of employment correspond with the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) of the Dutch Universities (CAO NU). Salary is subject to training and experience and corresponds to Scale 10 or 11 NU, with a minimum of € 2.709 (scale 10, grade 0) and a maximum of € 4.978 (scale 11, grade 11) gross per month on a 38 hour per week contract.
The EUR has attractive employment conditions, which include a holiday allowance of 8.0%, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% and 41 annual vacation days in case of a full workweek.
How to apply
To apply, please send your application letter with your statement of motivation, your resume, your publication list (if applicable), and the names and contact details of two referees, before 22 October 2019 by e-mail to email@example.com. Please mention “Postdoc TRESCA”. You should receive a confirmation mail within two weeks. Initial interviews are intended to begin in early November.
Your cover letter should be accompanied by a concise statement of motivation of no more than 750 words in which you explain what you consider to be key concerns for scientific communication particularly in relation to social science communication. It will be helpful to discuss specifically social science communication as the TRESCA project will address misinformation and digital safety (bots, algorithms, deep fakes), Environ-mental health (stress, anxiety, depression) and automation and the future of skills (fears around job losses, digitalisation requirements). This should minimally touch on how you might approach educational processes for social science researchers, engagement with journalists and policy makers and connections to the wider public. Additionally, some indication of the courses currently part of the bachelor’s and master’s programs within the department of media and communication that you would be interested in participating with should be noted in your cover letter. The selection committee will invite a small number of candidates for an interview. Candidates may be asked to submit a more detailed research proposal and/or give a short presentation as part of the application procedure.
Additional information can be obtained through the following links:
Additional information about the vacancies can be obtained from Jason Pridmore (firstname.lastname@example.org).