The Department of Public Administration & Political Science at the Nijmegen School of Management (NSM) has an opening for a Full Professor of Empirical …
Postdoc/PhD position Reliable manufacturing of co-bonded fiber reinforced polymer composites (FRPCs)
Wind energy is in urgent need of using advanced fiber reinforced polymer composites (FRPCs) to manufacture very large wind turbine blades for off-shore. Smart production of large turbine blades needs to be established in order ...
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3111 - € 4084 per maand
Wind energy is in urgent need of using advanced fiber reinforced polymer composites (FRPCs) to manufacture very large wind turbine blades for off-shore. Smart production of large turbine blades needs to be established in order to utilize the blades at their mechanical performance limits and reduce the cost level of wind energy. Co-bonding is a manufacturing process used in wind turbine blades in which a pre-fabricated FRPC is co-molded with an uncured laminate using the vacuum assisted resin transfer molding (vaRTM) process. One of the applications of this process is to produce wind turbine blade components such as the root section. The analysis of composite manufacturing processes is a comprehensive task due to the diverse interactions between involved fiber and matrix (resin) material, along with the physical and chemical phenomena mainly related to the resin flow, heat transfer, chemical curing reaction and solid mechanics. As a result, unwanted residual stresses and deformations or a poor bonding can take place in hybrid FRPCs. This will directly influence the mechanical performance of the blade.
One of the bottle-necks in co-bonding processes of FRPCs is that the load-transfer characteristics of the interface between different or similar polymers within co-bonded FRPCs during processing are not yet known. The bonding initiation and progression need to be characterized as a function of process parameters to predict the stress developments at the interface between two dissimilar materials. The evolution of the interphase thickness at the polymer-polymer interface as a function of process parameters should be described and understood well to develop a physics based model for the interface which is necessary for the prediction of bonding quality at the end of the process.
The objective of this research is to demonstrate how different processing conditions can influence the overall strength of FRPCs of which the co-bonded polymer-polymer interface is the design driver, taking into account the polymer interdiffusion in the interphase, process induced residual stresses and deformations. Micro- and meso-level co-bonding of FRPCs will be carried out using the vaRTM method and the developed polymer interdiffusion at the interface will be characterized using microscopy. Here, the key is the experimental method to study the interphase development as a function of material type, temperature and degree of cure and the interpretation of the experimental results in terms of physical modelling. Necessary measurement will be performed during the process to record for instance the process induced strains and temperature. The utilized polymer materials will be characterized in terms of chemorheology, thermokinetics and thermomechanics.
- You hold a PhD (for the post-doc position) or master’s degree (for the PhD position) in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Materials Science or Polymer Science or equivalent;
- You have experience in experimental characterization and analysis of polymers, including a basic knowledge about polymer physics and polymer/composite properties (is of benefit);
- You have excellent analytical skills and critical mindset;
- You have a strong interest in experimental mechanics;
- You are a team player with good communication skills;
- You are fluent in English, both spoken and written: Candidates with a non-Dutch qualification and who have not had secondary and tertiary education in English can only be admitted with an IELTS-test showing a total band score of at least 6.5, internet TOEFL test (TOEFL-iBT) showing a score of at least 90, or a Cambridge CAE-C (CPE).
Information and application
More information about this position can be obtained from Dr. Ismet Baran (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please send the following documents before December 31st, 2017 through the link below:
- a cover letter (maximum 1 page A4), emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications and motivations to apply for this position;
- a full Curriculum Vitae, including a list of all courses attended and grades obtained;
- a short description (maximum 1 page A4) of your MSc or PhD research;
- contact details of references who worked closely with you
- if applicable – a list of publications.
We offer a very challenging position in an inspiring multidisciplinary environment in a full-time position. Additionally, the University of Twente provides
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs.
For the post-doc position you will be appointed for a period of 3 years. The gross monthly salary depends on your degree and qualifications.
If you have a PhD degree (post-doc position 36 months) the gross salary will range from € 3.111,-- to € 4.084,-.
For the PhD candidate position you will be appointed for a period of 4 years.
If you have an MSc. degree (PhD position 48 months) the gross salary will range from € 2.222,- to € 2.840,-.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: MIRA, CTIT, SBE and IGS.