3 dagen geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
Postdoctoral Researcher 'Multilingual voices in STEM education' (Multi-STEM) (0.7 FTE)
Develop, implement and evaluate multilingual strategies in collaboration with stakeholders such as teachers, museum professionals, parents and children.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 24 - 28 uur
- € 2838 - € 4474 per maand
The Department Development & Education of Youth in Diverse Societies of the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences is looking for an enthusiastic and motivated postdoctoral Researcher for the Multi-STEM project.
The Multi-STEM project is a joint research project of Utrecht University, Hogeschool Utrecht and Hogeschool iPabo, which aims to promote the participation of multilingual children in education: both in Science & Technology and Mathematics.
Aims of the Multi-STEM project
The postdoc will collaborate with three PhD candidates. While the PhD projects focus on pedagogical translanguaging in and across school, science museums, and home contexts, the postdoc will conceptualize pedagogical translanguaging as a form of boundary crossing. The theoretical framework of boundary crossing allows for the identification of learning mechanisms as well as the conditions under which they occur. The postdoc will conduct a longitudinal study focusing on the mechanisms and processes involved in the use of home languages across formal (school), non-formal (science museum) and informal (home) contexts.
More specifically, the objectives of this postdoc project are to:
- determine teachers’ and parents’ attitudes towards translanguaging;
- investigate interactions between non-formal and informal learning settings and the role of translanguaging strategies therein;
- identify the mechanisms and processes involved in migrant (and other) children’s participation across formal, non-formal, informal settings and articulate the role of translanguaging strategies therein;
- develop a theoretical framework for pedagogical translanguaging as a form of boundary crossing.
You are an enthusiastic and motivated researcher with:
- a PhD degree in one of the following or neighboring disciplines: Multilingualism, bilingual education, boundary crossing across learning contexts, parent involvement in education;
- good communication skills in English and in Dutch (or the willingness to learn Dutch within a year);
- knowledge of translanguaging and/or boundary crossing;
- affinity with methodology (e.g., design research, research–practice partnerships);
- affinity with science, technology, or mathematics at the primary school level.
We offer a temporary position (0.7 FTE) for 5 years. The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €2,838 and €4,474 (scale 10 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment.
The salary is supplemented with an annual holiday pay of 8%, and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% per year. We offer flexible employment conditions and terms of employment to support a good work – life balance of our employees. Other secondary conditions include a pension scheme and partially paid parental leave. For more information, please visit Working at Utrecht University.