The Rijksmuseum, in collaboration with the Department of Physics and Astronomy, Faculty of Sciences, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, is inviting applications …
Junior Researcher on management of Leprosy Reactions in India and Indonesia
Leprosy reactions are serious complications of leprosy which lead to impairment, disability and for instance pain. Treatment of leprosy reactions is available, but individuals with reactions experience often adverse effects (e.g. acne, diabetes mellitus, tuberculosis, mental health issue.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 uur
We offer the position of junior researcher within the project ‘A qualitative and participatory research to improve the management of Erythema Nodosum Leprosum in India and Indonesia’, which focuses on the impact of leprosy reactions on the life of people with this condition and the improvement of practices for managing leprosy reactions, through the opinions of individuals with leprosy themselves. The project, funded by Leprosy Research Initiative, is a collaboration among the Athena Institute, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (main partners), the General Sutomo Hospital, Medicine Faculty Universitas Airlangga (Indonesia) and the Leprosy Mission India Hospital, Purulia (India). The successful applicant will be responsible for the collection of qualitative data on the impact of leprosy reactions through interviews, focus groups and participatory workshops with people living with this condition. He/she will work under the supervision of Dr. Ruth Peters, Mr. Kevin De Sabbata (Athena Institute, Amsterdam) and Dr. Stephen Walker (London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine), in cooperation with an on-site supervisor. The post will require at least six months of fieldwork in Indonesia and six months in India, with at least one final trip to Amsterdam (NL). The starting date of the position is the 1st July 2018. We are keen to hear from people with an interest in pursuing their PhD on topics relevant to this study and we are open to consider possibilities of transforming this experience into a doctoral project.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
• collecting and analyzing data through interviews, focus groups and participatory workshops in India and Indonesia;
• helping in the recruitment of study participants;
• preparing the fieldwork activities;
• coordinating the work of two research assistants living with leprosy;
• writing scientific articles and research papers related to the topics of the project;
• disseminating the results of the research through reports and conference presentations;
• nurturing relationship with local organisations and academic institutions.
• have a Master degree in a discipline related to leprosy research, the study of skin diseases and infectious diseases and/or disability studies in the area of social or biomedical sciences;
• have a strong interest in social problems related to the inclusion and care of people with disabilities;
• have a basic knowledge and/or some sort of experience in qualitative, interactive and participatory research;
• have a deep and direct understanding of the local context of India or Indonesia;
• are considering a career as a researcher and possibly to do a PhD;
• have solid academic writing skills;
• write and speak English fluently;
• are a self-starter, able to work independently and take responsibility for his/her work and that of collaborators;
• are a team player and able to carry on small tasks as a coordinator and team leader;
• keen to work in a strongly interdisciplinary environment;
• willing to travel to or within India, Indonesia and The Netherlands;
The appointment will be for a period of 1.5 years. There are possibilities to start a PhD track when functioning is excellent. The researcher will be formally based in Indonesia or India, depending on his/her country of origin. The salary will be in accordance with the rates of the country in which the researcher will be based. Other conditions, holidays, bonuses or pension scheme are in accordance with the regulations of the local institution at which the researcher will be formally based.
For information please contact Kevin De Sabbata.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature