Post-doc Research Positions “Hybrid metrology for XUV Optics”
Are you interested in developing advanced thin film characterization techniques for the most exciting application?We are looking for a motivated and skilled …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- € 2790 - € 4402 per maand
Are you interested in developing advanced thin film characterization techniques for the most exciting application?
We are looking for a motivated and skilled post-doctoral researcher to work on characterization of XUV optics. These optics basically consist of optical stacks of films of nanoscale thickness and come in reflective and transmissive types. The physics and chemistry of these thin film systems need to be controlled and characterized with atomic precision.
The aim of our research group is to develop the physics solutions for these tasks, such that new applications can be realized. These range from multi-layered optics engineered to show near-theoretical XUV reflectivity to highly transparent, few tens of nanometer thin membranes which are robust enough to withstand high XUV power levels. The tasks include the fine-tuning of complex optical indices by altering electronic structures, the reduction of layer roughness levels to a tenth of a nanometer, the control of thin film stresses to below a GPa, and the limitation of thermally and chemically induced diffusion processes. These processes require new types of diagnostics with adequate resolution to film thickness and high sensitivity to chemical state.
The XUV Optics Group at Twente has started a new multidisciplinary research programme on these topics. We develop forefront fundamental research, relevant to high tech applications (www.utwente.nl/xuv/). The research will take place in a state-of-the-art thin film laboratory within the MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology at the University of Twente, in collaboration with various industrial partners.
A postdoctoral research position is open for application and development of complex hybrid metrology with the unprecedented sensitivity. At the XUV optics group we have a set of in-house developed and commercially available techniques for characterization of complex nm-scale films. Your responsibility will be the development of specific metrology solutions for thin-film structures studied in the XUV Optics Group.
Challenge Your goal is to develop a thin-film characterization platform targeted to analyze various thin-film phenomena and solve most challenging puzzles originating form growth and application of thin-film devises, including: • Hybrid thin-film characterization schemes based on an efficient combination of various measurement techniques;
• Improvement of the accuracy of both measurements and data analysis and the uniqueness of current X-ray measurements;
• Assisting and teaching of thin-film metrology to colleagues and students in the group.
• You have a PhD degree in physics, materials science, physical chemistry or engineering, related to characterization of nano-structures and nano-metrology.
• You have evidenced experience in X-ray analysis of thin films and interfaces.
• You have affinity with the development of new or extension of existing characterization techniques.
• You have confirmed experience with scientific data analysis. Advanced knowledge of statistical methods for data analysis is an advantage.
• You are an excellent team player in an enthusiastic group of scientists and engineers working on a common theme.
• You are creative, like to push boundaries, and are highly motivated to address a major science challenge in thin film metrology.
• You are fluent in English and able to collaborate intensively with industrial and academic parties in regular meetings and work visits.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Please note, generic applications will be rejected without revision.
Your reaction should include: • Motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest and motivation and your experience with characterization of nanomaterials (Max 1.5 A4);
• Detailed CV, publication list, contact details of referees, an academic transcript of B.Sc. and M.Sc. education;
• A pdf of your PhD thesis.
• Optionally you can include a recommendation letter from your PhD supervisor. An interview and a scientific presentation will be part of the selection procedure. For more information about the position, you are encouraged to contact Dr. Igor A. Makhotkin at email@example.com, +31 53 489 1172 or Prof. Fred Bijkerk at firstname.lastname@example.org, +31 53 489 2863.
Please send your applications to the link below.