1 PhD position and 1 Postdoctoral researcher in Machine Learning & Deep Learning
Bosch, a multinational engineering and electronics company, and the University of Amsterdam, a world-leading computer science department, have started a joint …
- Spui, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 uur
- € 2325 - € 4978 per maand
Bosch, a multinational engineering and electronics company, and the University of Amsterdam, a world-leading computer science department, have started a joint research lab in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, to join the best of academic and industrial research. The lab focuses on fundamental research in deep learning with applications to intelligent vehicles. It hosts 10 PhD and Postdoc research positions and is led by Prof. Max Welling (machine learning), Prof. Arnold Smeulders (computer vision) and Dr Zenep Akata (deep learning). One of the perks of the program is an exchange program where each lab member will stay for one month per year at Bosch Research in Germany.
The Informatics Institute is looking for one PhD candidate and one postdoctoral researcher to perform cutting edge research in AMLAB in the field of machine learning.
One of the research topics is 'Methods for Robust Feature Learning' where the goals are to learn features that are robust or invariant to changing conditions, to learn classifiers that perform well on multiple domains, to learn representations that can be transferred between domains and to learn classifiers that do not suffer from adversarial examples.
Keywords: Bayesian Regularization, Model Uncertainty, Domain Transfer, Representation Learning
The second research topic is 'Combining Generative Probabilistic Models with Deep Learning' where the goals are to combine generative models with discriminative deep learning models, to inject expert knowledge into the modeling process, to improve the performance of deep learning using simulator models, to improve deep learning in the small data regime.
Keywords: Variational Autoencoders, Generative Adversarial Networks, Representation Learning
- Master's degree in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Physics or related field;
- excellent programming skills (e.g. C++, Python; Tensorflow, Pytorch or equivalent);
- solid mathematics foundations, especially statistics, calculus and linear algebra;
- highly motivated;
- fluent in English, both written and spoken.
Proven experience with machine learning / computer vision is a big plus.
- PhD degree in machine learning, computer vision or related field;
- excellent publication record in top-tier international conferences and/or journals;
- strong programming skills (e.g. C++, Python; Tensorflow, Pytorch or equivalent);
- motivated and capable to coordinate and supervise research.
Starting date: 1 June 2019
The appointment will be on a temporary basis for a period of 18 months and after satisfactory evaluation it can be extended for a total duration of 4 years. The appointment should lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis). An educational plan will be drafted that includes attendance of courses and (international) meetings. The PhD candidate is also expected to assist in teaching of bachelor and master students.
The gross monthly salary will range from €2,325 (first year) up to a maximum of €2,972 (last year).
The temporary appointment of a postdoctoral research fellow will be for two years (initial employment is 12 months and after a positive evaluation, the appointment will be extended further with 12 months). The gross monthly salary will range from €2,709 up to a maximum of €4,978 (scale 10/11) depending on qualifications, expertise and on the number of years of professional experience.
At any appointment level, the salary is based on a full-time appointment (38 hours a week). The total salary includes an additional 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus, under the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (Cao). A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants.
Among other things, we offer:
- competitive pay and good benefits;
- top-50 University worldwide;
- one of the best Deep Learning Ecosystems in the World
- interactive, open-minded and a very international city;
- excellent computing facilities.
English is the working language in the Informatics Institute. As in Amsterdam almost everybody speaks and understands English, candidates need not be afraid of the language barrier.
You may send nformal inquiries on the positions by email to:
You can send in your application no later than 15 May 2019 using this link.
In the research statement (see below) you should clearly describe your research vision in relation to the topics that we described, as well as a clear statement which would be your direction of research. Candidates should also include the following information, in separate PDF files (not zipped), using surname, initials and a self-evident word as file names, e.g. , Smith J CV:
- a curriculum vitae (including a url allowing download of pdf of MSc. thesis -- if relevant);
- a letter of motivation (at most 1 page) explaining why you are interested in this position;
- a research statement (at most 2 pages), explaining your research interests and how you think they can be related to the topics mentioned in the Job description above;
- a list of all university courses taken, including a transcript of grades;
- the name and contact details (including email address) of two – three referees who can provide details about your profile (one of whom should be the main supervisor of your Master thesis).
Applications must include a motivation letter explaining why you are the right candidate, curriculum vitae (mention the months and years when referring to your education and work experience), a copy of your PhD thesis (when available), a complete record of Bachelor and Master courses (including grades), a list of projects you have worked on (with brief descriptions of your contributions, max 2 pages) and the names and contact addresses of at least two academic references.
Please quote vacancy number 19-177 in your cover letter.
At this stage of the procedure, please do not send letters of reference or proofs of your academic writing.
Late or incomplete applications will be considered at the committee’s discretion.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature